Constant Karma is member of the 2018 Guideline Development Group (GDG) of the WHO. The GDG's task is to develop updated recommendations on safe male circumcision for HIV prevention and related service delivery for adolescent boys and men in generalized HIV epidemics.
The WHO published the following biography of Constant Karma:
drh. Constant Karma
- Institutional affiliation(s): Secretary of Papua Provincial AIDS Commission
- Commissioner of Bank Papua
- Academic degrees: Veterinary medicine
- City and country of primary residence: Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia
Constant Karma served in 2001-2005 as Deputy Governor of Irian Jaya Province and he began HIV- related activities with the Papua Provincial AIDS Commission (KPA) and in communities. After 2005, he was appointed by Papua Governor as Chief and Secretary of KPA of Papua Province up to the present time. From various experiences in the Government, he has supported HIV & AIDS prevention and prevention programs in Papua, such as the implementation of 100% Condom Usage Campaign to High Risk Groups by involving Persipura Jayapura Persipura Football Players Indonesia. Beginning in 2008, he presented about HIV and AIDS at meetings in Jayapura and advocated for a HIV prevention strategy that included male circumcision to prevent HIV transmission in Papua.
He works with various groups of society, namely religious institutions, government, NGO, and schools. In 2012, he sought engagement of other parties, especially donor support. He has been engaged with CHAI and a team of researchers from Rwanda on studies of device based male circumcision, acceptability and costs to help inform approaches to implementation and to reach the geographically remote population of Papua.
Constant Karma is a named author of a journal article in which supports the large scale promotion of voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) to protect against HIV infection. Karma evidently has made up his mind in favor of VMMC.
- (May 2018).
WHO to develop new guidelines on male circumcision. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Biographies of Guideline Development Group (GDG) members for WHO guidance , WHO. (September 2018). Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Ansari, MR / Lazardi, E / Wignall, FS / Karma, C / Semule, SA / Tarmizi, SN / Magnani, R. Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision to Prevent HIV in Tanah Papua, Indonesia: Field Trial to Assess Acceptability and Feasibility. Curr HIV Res. 23 November 2017; 15(5): 361-71. PMID. DOI. Retrieved 2 April 2020.