Timothy B. Hargreave
Timothy B. Hargreave is member of the 2018 Guideline Development Group (GDG) of the WHO. The GDG's task is to develop updated recommendations on safe male circumcision for HIV prevention and related service delivery for adolescent boys and men in generalized HIV epidemics.
The WHO published the following biography of Timothy B. Hargreave:
Timothy B Hargreave
- Senior Fellow, Dept. of Clinical Sciences, University of Edinburgh. Scotland. United Kingdom
- MS(Lond). FRCSEd. FRCPEd.
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Altogether Timothy Hargreave has more than 150 papers in peer review journals as well as numerous review articles, contributions to textbooks and textbooks. Early in my medical career he worked for a year as the only medical officer at Paray Hospital in the Highlands of Lesotho and since that time he has always tried to give some of his expertise to those countries less fortunate than the UK.
Since 1982 he has held various advisory posts within the UNDP/UNFPA/WHO/World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction at WHO and also within WHO itself. These were: - Infertility Task Force (member 1982 – 1886). Scientific and Ethical Review Group (member 1989 - 2007 (chair 2007 - 2010). Research Review Panel (member 2010- 2014), Research Ethics Review Committee, (Member 2008 – 2010, Appointed by Dr. Margaret Chan. Director W.H.O.), Technical Advisory Group on Devices and Innovations in Male circumcision, Dept. of HIV (Co-Chair 2010 – to Present date). He has contributed to a number of WHO publications and studies, most recently to the WHO and JHPIEGO Manual Male Circumcision under local anaesthesia 2009 (primary author) and major contributor to the current update (2018). In 2017 he was part of a team that visited the highlands of Papua province (Indonesia) to advise about the feasibility of an HIV prevention programme that includes Male Circumcision to combat the HIV epidemic in that region.
Hargreave has authored (2010) & co-authored (2016) articles in which he makes clear his support for male circumcision to prevent HIV infection. He obviously made up his mind on this issue a decade ago.
- (May 2018).
WHO to develop new guidelines on male circumcision. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Biographies of Guideline Development Group (GDG) members for WHO guidance , WHO. (September 2018). Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Hargreave, Tim. Male circumcision: towards a World Health Organisation normative practice in resource limited settings. Asian J Androl. 19 July 2020; 12(5): 628-38. PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- Samuelson, Julia / Hargreave, Timothy / Ridzon, Renee / Farley, Tim, et al. Innovative Methods of Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention—Getting the Right Evidence. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1 June 2016; 72(Suppl 1): S5-S12. PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 3 April 2020.