Prof. Dr. Tobe Levin Freifrau von Gleichen (* February 16, 1948 in Long Branch, New York) is professor of English and intactivist against FGM.
At the Scientific Symposium on the day before the WWDOGA 2014, she gave a lecture on the topic of 'In fearful symmetries: essays and eyewitness accounts of female genital mutilation and male circumcision'.
- 1970 B.A. in English from Ithaca College (NY)
- 1979 PhD in comparative literature from Cornell University
- Since 1979 teaching English and women's studies at the University of Maryland University College in Europe.
- 1998 co-founder of FORWARD-Germany e.V (a non-profit focused on fighting FGM in Germany and dedicated to ending FGM worldwide)
- 2002 won the Presidential Award of the University of Maryland University College for excellence in scholarship.
- Associate W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research – Harvard University