Prof. Dr. Holm Putzke (* 1973 in Dohna, Germany) is a German jurist and professor.
As an expert Putzke worked among others for the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), the European Union and the Judicial Committee of the State Parliament in North Rhine-Westphalia and the Home Affairs Committee of the German Bundestag. Putzke is member of the Advisory Board of the religious critic Giordano Bruno Foundation and Tutor of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
- 1992-1997 Studied law at the Ruhr-University Bochum
- 1995-1999 Assistant at the Department of Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure Law of Ellen Schlüchter at the Ruhr-University Bochum
- 1997 First State Examination
- 2000-2002 Law Clerk at the District Courts of Bochum and Dortmund
- 2002 Second State Examination
- 2002-2003 Assistant at the Department of Criminal Law and General Theory of Law of Rolf Dietrich Herzberg
- 2003-2010 Research Assistant at the Institute of Criminology, Criminal Policy and Police Science by Thomas Feltes
- 2003 PhD at the Law Faculty of the Ruhr-University Bochum
- 2003 Studies of the Polish business law with a scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service at Uniwersytet Jagiellonian in Krakow (Poland)
- 2009 Presentation of the academic degree 'Master of Laws' (LL.M.) by the Uniwersytet Jagiellonian in Krakow
- 2006-2010 Lecturer of Criminal Law and Juvenile Law in the Master's program 'Criminology and Police Science' at the Ruhr-University Bochum
- Since 2010, teaching professor of criminal law at the University of Passau; he is also a member of the Institute for Law Teaching.
- Co-editor of the article series "Bochumer Schriften zur Rechtsdogmatik und Kriminalpolitik" (Bochum writings on legal doctrine and criminal policy)
- Co-editor of the Journal for the Study of Law (ZJS)
- Co-editor of "Schriften zur rechtswissenschaftlichen Didaktik" (writings on jurisprudence didactics)
- Co-editor of "Zeitschrift für Internationale Strafrechtsdogmatik" (Journal of International Criminal Law Dogmatics)
Commitment against the circumcision of boys
Prior to the enforcement of § 1631d BGB Putzke has represented the legal opinion in several scientific articles that the not medically necessary circumcision of boys is an element of crime of assault, including the religious circumcision of boys. He welcomed and encouraged the spread of the judgment of the District Court of Cologne which classified a male circumcision for religious reasons as unlawful assault.
The German Bundestag did not follow Putzke's argument and decided on 12 December 2012 after a controversial debate with 434 to 100 votes with 46 abstentions, to enforce a law that allows boy's circumcision under certain conditions. Putzke estimated the law is unconstitutional and accused the Bundestag to habe created 'legal nonsense', e.g. as far as the purpose clause is concerned.
ZIS - Zeitschrift für Internationale Strafrechtsdogmatik[ZIS - Journal of International Criminal Law Dogmatics] (German). Retrieved 12 November 2019.
Rechtsprechung, LG Köln, 07.05.2012 - 151 Ns 169/11[Jurisprudence, LG Cologne, 07 May 2012 - 151 Ns 169/11] (German). Retrieved 12 November 2019.