Canadian Paediatric Society
The Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) is the medical trade association for Canadian paediatricians. The CPS head office is located at 100-2305 St. Laurent Blvd., Ottawa, ON, Canada K1G 4J8.
The CPS is governed by an elected Board of Directors representing each province and territory.
The CPS publishes Paediatrics & Child Health, Canada's only paediatrics journal.
The CPS publishes policy statements on various matters relating to paediatric health and well-being. It has published three major statements on male circumcision.
Issues with the 2016 circumcision position statement
The 2015 statement clearly was heavily influenced by the now thoroughly discredited and expired (2017) American Academy of Pediatrics 2012 Circumcision Policy Statement. Furthermore, it bizarrely includes a reference to a paper on urinary tract infection by circumcision promoters Brian J. Morris and Thomas E. Wiswell.
The statement seems designed to promote non-therapeutic unnecessary child circumcision in Canada in violation of the child's Section 7 rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Circumcision assaults the person of the child by excising functional tissue. The CPS seems unwilling to recognise and protect the legal rights of its child patients.
- Swyer PR, Boston RW, Murdock A, Paré C, Rees E, Segal S, Sinclair JC. FN 75 Circumcision in the newborn period. CPS News Bull Suppl. 1975; 8(2): 1-2. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- Outerbridge E. Neonatal circumcision revisited. Can Med Assoc J. 15 March 1996; 154(6): 769-80. PMID. PMC. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- Sorokin ST, Finlay, JC, Jeffries, AL, et al. Newborn male circumcision. Paediatr Child Health. August 2015; 20(6): 311-20. PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- Mayan, Madhur, Hamilton, Robert J., Juurlink, David N., Austin, Peter C., Jarvi, Keith A.. Circumcision and Risk of HIV Among Males From Ontario, Canada. J Urol. 8 June 2023; PMID. DOI. Retrieved 2 October 2021.
We found that circumcision was not independently associated with the risk of acquiring HIV among men from Ontario, Canada.
- Official website. Retrieved 8 June 2023.