F. Xavier Bosch
F. Xavier Bosch is senior consultant to the Cancer Epidemiology Research Program (CERP) at the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO) in Barcelona, Spain. He also serves as Chief of International Affairs at ICO and is the Executive Director of the ICO/IARC Information Centre on HPV and Cervical Cancer (www.who.int/hpvcentre). Dr. Bosch is the editor in chief of the journal Papillomavirus Research (PVR) and the editor of the international newsletter HPV Today (www.hpvtoday.com), served as guest editor for the HPV MONOGRAPH series (Vaccine, Elsevier) and is the organizer and current Director of an e-learning effort in oncology and notably on e-courses on cervical cancer prevention (www.eoncologia.net). He served as epidemiologist at the International Agency for Research on Cancer (Lyon, France 1982-1993) and as visiting scientist at the National Cancer Institute (Washington, USA 2002).
Dr. Bosch has conducted epidemiological research on cancers linked to infectious agents notably on cancer of the liver, the cervix, the genital tract and of the oral cavity and oropharynx. Dr Bosch was at the origin of the IARC program of epidemiological studies that demonstrated causality in the HPV and invasive cervical cancer relationship, established the role of the environmental co-factors for carcinogenesis among HPV positive women, and described the international variation of HPV types in cervical cancer. Some of these studies have played a catalytic role for the initiation of the first vaccine trials for HBV and HPV and for the evaluation of HPV tests as screening tools. Current interest reside in dissemination of scientific information of clinical relevance and in studies that integrate HPV vaccination and screening in environments with limited resources.
Dr. Bosch’s publications in relation to HPV and cervical cancer amount to over 420 original publications, over 25 monograph books and major reviews and over 700 scientific communications at medical meetings.
His name is commonly abbreviated as F. Xavier Bosch or Bosch FX in publications.
It is noteworthy that his CV at the Cancer Epidemiology Research Programme (PREC) at the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO) doesn't mention circumcision at all. Nevertheless, he co-authored several journal articles which link circumcision to protection from cancer, among other things as co-author of the circumfetishist Brian J. Morris, e.g.:
- Bosch FX, Castellsagué X, Munoz N, et al. Male sexual behavior and human papillomavirus DNA: key risk factors for cervical cancer in Spain. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1996; 88: 1060-7.
- Munoz N, Castellsagué X, Bosch FX, et al. Difficulty in elucidating the male role in cervical cancer in Colombia, a high-risk area for the disease. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1996; 88: 1068-75.
- Castellsagué X, Bosch FX, Muñoz N, Meijer CJLM, Shah KV, de Sanjosé S, Eluf-Neto J, Ngelangel CA, Chichareon S, et al. Male Circumcision, Penile Human Papillomavirus Infection, and Cervical Cancer in Female Partners. N Engl J Med. 11 April 2002; 346: 1105-12. DOI. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
- Bosch FX, Albero G, Castellsagué X. Male circumcision, human papillomavirus and cervical cancer: from evidence to intervention. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. January 2009; 35(1): 5-7. PMID. DOI. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
- Morris BJ, Gray RH, Castellsagué X, Bosch FX, Halperin DT, Waskett JH, Hankins CA. The Strong Protective Effect of Circumcision against Cancer of the Penis. Adv Urol. 22 May 2011; PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
- Albero G, Villa LL, Lazcano-Ponce E, Fulp W, Papenfuyy MR, Nyitray AG, Lu B, Castellsagué X, Abrahamsen M, et al. Male circumcision and prevalence of genital human papillomavirus infection in men: a multinational study. BMC Infectious Diseases. 17 January 2013; 13(18) Retrieved 4 August 2022.
- Albero G, Castellsagué X, Lin HY, Fulp W, Villa LL, Lazcano-Ponce E, Papenfuss M, Abrahamsen M, Salmerón J, et al. Male circumcision and the incidence and clearance of genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in men: the HPV Infection in men (HIM) cohort study. BMC Infectious Diseases. 10 February 2014; 14(75) Retrieved 4 August 2022.
F. Xavier Bosch, SciSpace. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
Doctor of Medicine, Wikipedia. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
Master of Public Health or Master of Philosophy in Public Health, Wikipedia. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
Francesc Xavier Bosch José (Q56376448), Enciclopèdia.cat. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
Bosch, F. Xavier, International Papillomavirus Society. Retrieved 4 August 2022.
Francesc Xavier Bosch Jose, e-oncologia Director and scientific advisor. Retrieved 4 August 2022.