Khalid Adem (born 1975) is an Ethiopian who was both the first person prosecuted and first person convicted for female genital mutilation (FGM) in the USA, stemming from charges that he had personally excised his 2-year-old daughter's clitoris with a pair of scissors.
- Wikipedia article: Khalid Adem. Retrieved 29 December 2020.
- (1 November 2006).
Man gets 10-year sentence for circumcision of 2-year-old daughter. Retrieved 29 December 2020.
- There were, however, two people in California in 2004 charged with "conspiring" to commit an act of FGM. Adem was the first American prosecuted for actually performing the procedure.
- Broussard PA. (Duke University School of Law) Female genital mutilation: exploring strategies for ending ritualized torture; shaming, blaming, and utilizing the Convention against Torture (archive URL). Duke Journal of Gender Law & Policy (Durham). 2008; 15(1) Retrieved 23 October 2008.
- Luscombe, Belinda (11 May 2010)."Has a U.S. Pediatrics Group Condoned Genital Cutting?", Time. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- Brock, J. (2006)."Adem gets 10 years in prison for mutilation", Gwinnett Daily Post. Retrieved 4 November 2006.
- The Associated Press (2 November 2006)."Man Convicted in Daughter’s Mutilation", New York Times. Retrieved 1 December 2008.