Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Ayaan Hirsi Ali (born 13 November 1969 in Mogadishu, Somalia), is a Dutch-American intactivist, feminist, author, scholar and former politician. She received international attention as a critic of Islam and advocate for the rights and self-determination of Muslim women, actively opposing forced marriage, honor killing, child marriage and female genital mutilation. She has founded an organisation for the defense of women's rights, the AHA Foundation.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution and an adjunct scholar at the AEI (American Enterprise Institute), covering the research areas Islam and the West, Islam and Women, and Islam in Europe.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali served as a member of the Dutch Parliament from 2003 to 2006.
After Ayaan Hirsi Ali asked if male circumcision could be made illegal, the Dutch Justice Minister Piet Hein Donner claimed that circumcision was not traumatic and he saw no reason to make it illegal.
Meddings (2017) stated that
|“||Prominent human rights advocates Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Soraya Mire (both survivors of female genital mutilation) have acknowledged that male circumcision is worse than some forms
of female genital mutilation. Indeed, in its removal of the foreskin, which is the most sensitive part of the penis, male circumcision also removes 30–50 per cent of the penile skin.|
– Jonathan Meddings (Australian Rationalist)
- Wikipedia article: Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- (16 May 2016)."Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Q&A: the west must stop seeing Muslims only as victims", The Guardian. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- (1 April 2015)."Ayaan Hirsi Ali's 'Heretic'", The New York Times. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- (24 February 2017)."Ayaan Hirsi Ali: "You can't change these practices if you don't talk about them"" (archive URL), The New York Times. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali on the Challenge of Radical Islam, Conversations with Bill Kristol. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Hoover Institution. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
Ayaan Hirsi Ali, American Enterprise Institute - AEI. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- (7 October 2004)."Justice Minister against outlawing circumcision", Radio Netherlands. Retrieved 16 September 2021.
- Meddings J. Cut it out, not off . Australian Rationalist. September 2017; 104: 7. Retrieved 17 September 2021.