J. Steven Svoboda
J. Steven Svoboda, Esq., is an American attorney, founder and Executive Director of the organization "Attorneys for the Rights of the Child".
Svoboda graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1991. Previously, he received a bachelor's degree in Physics and English studies from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), receiving awards as an Outstanding Student in each of his two majors as well as being one of five Outstanding Seniors chosen from his undergraduate class. He then received a master's degree in Physics from the University of California, Berkeley.
Svoboda has been working as a full-time patent lawyer since May 2004. His first two patents became two of the core patents behind GPS navigation and Yelp. He has helped Fetch Robotics, Inc. receive eight patents to date with two more expected before the end of 2018. Svoboda founded Attorneys for the Rights of the Child in 1997.
In July 2018, an international team of which Svoboda was a member—the International NGO Council on Genital Autonomy, submitted to the United Nations a report on circumcision as a human rights violation, capping nearly two full years of work. He has published over 200 reviews of books relating to men, boys, and gender. For eight years, he wrote a column for Everyman magazine titled, "Gender, Law, and Society," which he renamed after his first child's birth, "Gender, Law, and Fatherhood." He is co-author, with Warren Farrell and James Sterba, of the gender studies textbook Does Feminism Discriminate Against Men? (Oxford University Press, 2007). He has also been a contributor to the website Men's News Daily.
Svoboda was invited by the United Nations to participate in a 2001 human rights meeting in Geneva where his presentation was the basis of a committee of experts writing a UN document entirely devoted to the subject of male circumcision.
After the death in June 2011 of his friend, the activist Van Lewis, Svoboda was invited to deliver a memorial speech in Lewis' honor at a memorial service in Tallahassee. Many activists contributed to Svoboda's memorial talk.
ARC's work has been recognized by Harvard Law School, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Men's Health magazine, and numerous other well-known organizations and publications.
Svoboda is also the founder of the Bus Stop Co-op, a vegetarian organic food cooperative in Berkeley, California.
He is a former performance artist and a tournament chess player rated as an expert (the ranking below master) by the United States Chess Federation.
He is the senior board member of and Public Relations Director for the National Coalition for Men, which claims to be the world's oldest and largest non-profit devoted to publicizing the alleged harm done to men and boys by gender discrimination.
Award for intactivism
- J. Steven Svoboda. Circumcision Lawsuits. 2010-06-28.
- J. Steven Svoboda. The Right to Bodily Integrity. 2013-07-17.
- J. Steven Svoboda. Circumcision - Your Legal Rights. 2014-08-28.
- J. Steven Svoboda. Biases in the Making of the AAP's Circumcision Policy Revealed. 2017-09-27.
- J. Steven Svoboda. Talking with Steven Svoboda. 2018-09-10.
- Boyle GJ, Goldman R, Svoboda JS, Fernandez E. Male Circumcision: Pain, Trauma and Psychosexual Sequelae. Journal of Health Psychology. 2002; 7(3): 329-43. DOI. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- Boyle GJ, Svoboda JS, Price CP, Turner N. Circumcision of Healthy Boys: Criminal Assault?. J Law Med. February 2000; 7: 301. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- Svoboda JS, Van Howe RS, Dwyer JG. Informed consent for neonatal circumcision: an ethical and legal conumdrum. The Journal of Contemporary Law and Policy. September 2000; 17: 61. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Hodges FM, Svoboda JS, Van Howe RS. Prophylactic interventions on children: balancing human rights with public health.. J Med Ethics. 1 February 2002; 28(1): 10-6. PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Svoboda JS, Van Howe RS. Out of step: fatal flaws in the latest AAP policy report on neonatal circumcision. J Med Eth. 18 March 2013; 39: 415. DOI. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Svoboda JS, Adler PW, Van Howe RS. Circumcision is Unethical and Unlawful . The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 2016; 44: 263-282. DOI. Retrieved 19 June 2021.
J. Steven Svoboda bio, arclaw. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- (12 March 2016).
Penn & Teller video, Attorneys for the Rights of the Child (ARC). Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Svoboda, J. Steven (2011).
Van Lewis Eulogy, Attorneys for the Rights of the Child. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- (12 March 2016).
J. Steven Svoboda, Esq., National Coalition for Men. Retrieved 30 September 2019.