George W. Kaplan
Dr. George Willard Kaplan, M.D.[a 1], M.S.[a 2], F.A.C.S.[a 3], F.A.A.P.[a 4], (born 24 August 1935 in Brownsville, TX), was an urologist in San Diego, CA. He received his medical degree from McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University and has been in practice for more than 20 years.
Kaplan was Professor of Clinical Surgery and Pediatrics at University of California, San Diego, and has long had an interest in medical and local history. Dr. Kaplan has published over 250 scientific articles and textbook chapters, and co-authored one textbook.
Kaplan was a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics task force that produced the 1999 Circumcision Policy Statement. The statement clearly stated that non-therapeutic infant circumcision "is not essential to the child's current well-being".
|“||Doctor Kaplan has always been a keen observer of common urological problems in children and has reported on idiopathic urethrorrhagia in boys, idiopathic scrotal edemaand hypertension in neonates as a complication of umbilicalartery catheters, just to name a few. He is considered to be a preeminent “hypospadiologist” and has the distinction, whether he likes it or not, of being one of the authorities on circumcision and complications related to this procedure.|
– Hal Scherz
|“||George W. Kaplan was a Jewish doctor and a good one. My understanding is that he thought that circumcision was good if done correctly.|
– George Hill
- Kaplan GW. Complications of circumcision. Urol Clin N Amer. 1983; 10(08): 543-9. Retrieved 10 January 2022.
George Kaplan, MD – Awarded Distinguished Member for 2017, Western Section AUA. Retrieved 11 January 2022.
Doctor of Medicine, Wikipedia. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
Master of Science, Wikipedia. Retrieved 13 October 2021. (Latin: magisterii scientiae; also abbreviated MS, MSc, M.Sc., SM, S.M., ScM or Sc.M.)
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Wikipedia. Retrieved 10 January 2021.
- Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatrics
Handbook of Pediatric Urology, Google Books. Retrieved 11 January 2022.
- Scherz H, Packer M. George W. Kaplan . J Urol. October 2008; 180: 1587-8. Retrieved 11 January 2022.
Dr. George W. Kaplan, MD, U.S.News. Retrieved 10 January 2022.
- Kaplan GW. Peter C. Remondino, MD: the Man and his Library. The Journal of San Diego History. 61(3-4): 475-87. Retrieved 11 January 2022.
- Lannon CM, Bailey A, Fleishman AR, Kaplan GW, Shoemaker CT, Swanson JT, Coustan D. Circumcision policy statement. Pediatrics. September 1999; 103(3): 686-93. PMID. DOI. Retrieved 11 January 2021.