From the English Wikipedia:
A mohel (Hebrew מוֹהֵל moˈhel, Ashkenazi pronunciation ˈmɔɪ.əl, plural: מוֹהֲלִים mohalim mo.haˈlim, מוֹהֲלָא mohala, "circumciser") is a Jewish person trained in the practice of brit milah, the "covenant of circumcision."
Under Jewish law, a mohel must draw blood from the circumcision wound. Most mohels do it by hand with a suction device, but some Orthodox groups use their mouth to draw blood after cutting the foreskin.
Holt (1913) reported tubercular mohels were transmitting tuberculosis to infant boys.
The ancient practice (called Metzitzah b'peh) infects baby boys with herpes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a warning in 2012 about the health implications of this practice, citing 11 cases of neonatal HSV and two recorded fatalities.
Four New York baby boys have contracted herpes from the mohel in six months.
- Hartog K. Death spotlights old circumcision rite. JewishJournal.com. 17 February 2005; Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- (2 February 2005).
Rabbi probed for circumcised infants' herpes, nbcnews.com. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Holt LE. Tuberculosis acquired through ritual circumcision. JAMA. 12 July 1913; 61(2): 99-102. DOI. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Distel R, Hofer V, Bogger-Goren S, Shalit I, Garty BZ. Primary genital herpes simplex infection associated with Jewish ritual circumcision. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003; 5: 893–894. PMID. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Penile herpes simplex virus type 1 infection presenting two and a half years after Jewish ritual circumcision of an infant. Sex Transm Dis. June 2013; 40(6): 516-517. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Baum SG. (CDC) Neonatal Herpes Simplex Virus Infection Following Jewish Ritual Circumcisions that Included Direct Orogenital Suction — New York City, 2000–2011. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 8 June 2012; 61: 405–409. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Koren A, et al. Neonatal Herpes Simplex virus infections in Israel . Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013; 32: 120-123. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Amir J, et al. Circumcision and Urinary Tract Infections in Infants. Am J Dis Child. 1986; 140: 1092.
- Oster, Marcy (20 February 2020)."4 NY babies get herpes from Jewish circumcision rite in past 6 months", The Times of Israel. Retrieved 12 April 2020.