New Zealand researcher Lindsay R. Watson describes a state of denial in grown-up men who have not yet realized that in their earliest childhood, the circumcision gave them a highly traumatic experience that they have not yet realized or even processed. When genitally mutilated men realize for the first time (often through a trigger impulse from the outside) what has been done to them, it is often like an "awakening from a coma" to them.
This is often followed by extreme feelings of hate, anger and loss. Chances are that these men find no way to channel their anger constructively to protect others from genital mutilation. Some of these simply give up themselves by committing suicide.
Documented cases of suicide due to circumcision
There are not so many records of men who could no longer endure their condition after forced circumcision and who took their own lives. This article tries to collect a list of these tragedies.
|Brandt, Brian Mathew||28||Hated himself and his mother over a very aggressive circumcision conducted while he was an infant.|
|Cagle, Kevin Lloyd||20|
I hate my body. I don't feel whole.
|Conte, Jonathon||34||Botched circumcision and resulting depression.|
|Hardy, Alex||23||"It quickly became apparent that what had just happened was a catastrophe... I died in 2015, not now."|
|Lwane, Dontsa||19||Botched circumcision.|
|Lwane, Wandile||21||Suicide after learning of his brother Dontsa's death.|
|Reimer, David||38||Never felt complete.|
|Terrebonne, Beasley Allen||48||Botched circumcision and resulting depression.|
There are some documented suicide attempts but surely most attempts never come to light.
- Massie L (2013):
Male Circumcision and the Potential for Unexplained Male Adolescent Suicide in Northern Ireland, in: Genital Cutting: Protecting Children from Medical, Cultural, and Religious Infringements. Denniston GC, Hodges FM, Milos MF (eds.). pp. 101-106. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Jacobson B, Bygdeman M. Obstetric care and proneness of offspring to suicide. BMJ. 1998; 317: 1346-1349.
- Salk L, Lipsitt LP, Sturner WQ, et al. Relationship of maternal and perinatal conditions to eventual adolescent suicide. Lancet. 1985; i: 624-627.</ref>
- Documented severe complications of circumcision
- Psychological issues of male circumcision
- Lowbridge, Caroline (17 April 2019)."My son killed himself after circumcision", BBC, BBC News. Retrieved 26 July 2021.
- Watson LR (2014): Unspeakable Mutilations. pp. 218. ISBN 978-1495266577. Retrieved 13 August 2021.
Letters to Editor, NOCIRC. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- (1 April 2015).
Circumcision Suicide: Kevin Cagle - 20 years old, Facebook. Retrieved 26 July 2021.
- DeSantis, John (25 December 2008).
Man found dead near Nicholls campus(archive URL), Houma Today. Retrieved 23 November 2012.