David Pakman (born 2 February 1984 in Buenos Aires, Argentina) was born into an Ashkenazi Jewish family and presumably was circumcised in accordance with the Abrahamic covenant, most likely by a mohel on the eighth day of his life. We now understand that infant circumcision is an adverse childhood experience and causes physical and psychic trauma. Pakman lost his foreskin in infancy so he has no personal experience of the functions and sensations of the foreskin. Pakman is a victim of circumcision.
Effects of trauma
Trauma causes behavior change. Famed trauma expert Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.[a 1] (1989) reports that traumatized persons tend to repeat the trauma on themselves or others, resulting in harm to others, harm to self, or being re-victimized. He writes:
Promotion of non-therapeutic circumcision
Pakman immigrated to the United States at the age of 5 and is now a naturalized citizen.
In his adult life he became a television journalist and political pundit. His usual subject matter is American politics.
He has turned from his usual political fare to do promotional videos for non-therapeutic circumcision of boys. In these videos he has closely adhered to the biased advocacy positions of the medical trade associations, which promote the income and welfare of doctors.
- In one video he praised the 2012 Circumcision Policy Statement of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), which is a medical trade association. He is seemingly unaware that the 2012 AAP statement has received severe and unrelenting critical comment from both domestic and foreign sources, so was allowed to expire without being reaffirmed, because it was so bad.
- In another video, he praised the 2015 Circumcision Policy Statement of the Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS), was was based on the hopelessly flawed 2012 AAP statement, seemingly unaware that the CPS is another medical trade association.
- In a third video, he quoted from the work of Australian Professor Brian J. Morris, whose claims has been rejected in his own nation. Morris is another traumatized victim of infant circumcision, who has followed a similar pattern of promoting injurious, non-therapeutic circumcision.
- In a fourth video, he absurdly claimed that circumcision does not reduce sexual sensitivity. This is a mistake that only a man circumcised in infancy and in denial of loss could make.
An hour-long video to rebut Pakman's absurd claims has been published.
Doctor of Medicine, Wikipedia. Retrieved 14 June 2021. In the United Kingdom, Ireland and some Commonwealth countries, the abbreviation MD is common.
- van der Kolk BA. The compulsion to repeat the trauma: re-enactment, revictimization, and masochism. Psychiatr Clin North Am. June 1989; 12(2): 389-411. PMID. Retrieved 10 November 2022.
- AAP Task Force on Circumcision. Circumcision policy statement . Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 585-6. DOI.
- Sorokin ST, Finlay JC, Jeffries AL, et al. Newborn male circumcision. Paediatr Child Health. August 2015; 20(6): 311-20. PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 31 May 2023.
- Wikipedia article: David Pakman. Retrieved 6 June 2023.