Peter H. Kilmarx, M.D.[a 1], is an epidemiologist with the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Kilmarx is an expert on infectious disease research and HIV/AIDS prevention who previously served as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Country Director in Zimbabwe, providing oversight for 30 CDC staff who managed implementation of the U.S. efforts to reduce HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria. He is now deputy director of the Fogarty International Center.
Kilmarx joined the Peace Corp and served in Africa. He joined the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1995, where he served as Chief, Epidemiology Branch, Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention. Kilmarx is substantially responsible for the encouragement of non-therapeutic circumcision at the CDC. There is substantial evidence that Kilmarx holds a high degree of bias in favor of circumcision.
Fish et al. (2020) identify Kilmarx as a major architect of the CDC's erroneous circumcision promotion policy with its racist orientation.
Kilmarx is a very active writer. He is listed as as author or co-author of 121 articles by the PubMed service of the National Library of Medicine. Some are very pro-circumcision.
- Smith, Dawn K., Smith, Allan, Kilmarx, Peter H., et al. Male circumcision in the United States for the prevention of HIV infection and other adverse health outcomes: report from a CDC consultation. Public Health Rep. January 2010; 125 Suppl 1(Suppl 1): 72-82. PMID. PMC. DOI. Retrieved 18 September 2022.
- Clark, Sarah J., Kilmarx, Peter H., Kretsinger, Katrina. Coverage of newborn and adult male circumcision varies among public and private US payers despite health benefits. Health Aff (Millwood).. December 2011; 30(12): 2355-61. PMID. DOI. Retrieved 18 September 2022.
- Carbery, Baevin, Zhu, Julia, Gust, Deborah A., Chen, Robert T., Kretsinger, Katrina, Kilmarx, Peter H.. Need for physician education on the benefits and risks of male circumcision in the United States. AIDS Educ Prev.. August 2012; 24(4): 377-87. PMID. DOI. Retrieved 18 September 2022.
- (15 February 2022).
Peter Kilmarx, M.D., Deputy Director, Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 12 September 2022.
- Grauer NA (2017).
Admiral of Public Health, Hopkins Medicine. Retrieved 12 September 2022.
- Kilmarx, Peter (31 August 2018).
Circumcision is a fraud, Twitter. Retrieved 14 September 2022.
- Fish, Max, Shavisi, Ariane, Gwaambuka, Tatenda, Tangwa, Godfrey B., Ncayiyana, Daniel, Earp, Brian D.. A new Tuskegee? Unethical human experimentation and Western neocolonialism in the mass circumcision of African men.. Dev World Bioeth. December 2021; 21(4): 211-26. PMID. DOI. Retrieved 27 September 2022.